Midday Connection

A safe place to process your story.

Midday blog: Jesus Loves Her, Too

I often begin my day with some time of silence.  I think of it as sitting with Jesus and enjoying being with Him.  I just sit, palms open, eyes closed, breathing, aware of Jesus with me.  One morning, I was sitting quietly with Jesus and my beautiful, long-haired cat, Scarlett, jumped on my lap.  She’s a little on the chubby side, so when she laid down over my hands, I could feel her soft, full, warm belly spilling over my lap.  She immediately began to purr, tail swishing back and forth contentedly.  This.  This moment is wonderful.  My heart is happy and I feel great love for this little creature on my lap.  I sighed and said to Jesus apologetically, “I sure do love her. A lot.  I know there are starving children in the world and lots of pain all around me… I feel guilty sometimes for loving my cat.  But.  I do.”  I sighed again, and felt Jesus say to me, “So do I.”  I was stunned!  Really, Jesus?  You love her, too?  Immediately, tears came to my eyes.  Could it be that I’ve been feeling guilt over something that I didn’t need to feel guilty about?  Could it be that this warm, soft, comforting, purring creature is a gift?  An expression of God’s grace and love?

Have you ever had a moment when you were shown a comforting truth that released false guilt?

Lori Neff is the senior producer for the award-winning national radio program, Midday Connection. Lori grew up in a small town in Ohio, spending more time outside in nature than inside. She is a graduate of Moody Bible Institute. Her interests include art (looking at it and creating it), music, literature, humanitarian aid efforts, cooking, gardening, coffee, traveling, thinking, learning and spending time with her husband, John.

To learn more about Lori and read her blog, please visit visit her website.

Single Post Navigation

9 thoughts on “Midday blog: Jesus Loves Her, Too

1. Showing love to all God’s creatures is the gift He desires of us as well. Such a simple sign and so important…His love!

2. Susan on said:

I’m really not doing so well. REALLY.

3. Julie Shawback on said:

Just recently I was struggling with a broken relationship that I have been powerless to reconcile. In church yesterday my pastor was sharing about how God is our Defender, and when we truly are trusting in Him fully that we have no need to try to fix things and defend ourselves – He desires for us to put those situations fully in HIS hands and allow HIM to do HIS work and to be my Defender. My role is to be silent and trust until He leads me to act/speak. How freeing it was to let myself off of the hook, finally, for not being able to “fix” this problem. He knows it all so well and wants me to allow Him to do His work.
    I loved your sharing about your sweet kitty. I have two dogs who have been a huge blessing to me. God has used them in my life to give me much joy, and also comfort. My one dog, Jack, is my comforter when I am sad. He tends to know my moods and just when to give a little whimper that he wants to sit on my lap. He then snuggles in and stays there until I move. Being single, that gentle touch is a reminder to me of God’s presence. :)

4. Beth's Other Half on said:

I grew up in a house full of cats. My siblings and I would bring them home as we found them wandering about. Often, when I try to describe the love I have for my Lord, I will compare it to my earthly father’s love for me. But I realize that so many people may not have a good relationship with their Daddy.
    So I try to compare it to the love our pets have for us. Unfettered, unencumbered, unqualified. They love us. And we love and care for them.

5. Marilyn on said:

My husband and l were mowing Saturday afternoon when we noticed the dog was playing with a living creature. We thought it was a squirrel at first. I turned my mower across the yard to see what was happening. The dog had a kitten by the head, dragging it around and slinging it like a rag doll. Incredibly, the kitten was alive. A little dizzy, but alive. I rescued her from the playful dog, washed her dog-slimed head and gave her milk. She fell in love with us. I said to my husband, “God has sent us a kitten.” I think when God walked in Eden in the cool of the day, He picked up a kitten and scratched it behind it’s ears. And the kitten climbed up on His shoulder and nuzzled His beard.

6. Marilyn on said:

Susan…why are you not doing so well?

7. Marilyn on said:

Susan, please tie a knot and hold on until it gets better!

8. Susan on said:

I need somebody to … hold on … and let/help me cry.
    I know how stupid that is.
    but. I never cry. and people don’t touch me. so. even more stupid.